8.29.2011

Early fall, easy ideas

The September Issue

It arrived at my house preceding Irene on Friday afternoon. 2 inches thick, though let’s be serious, 65% of its pages are advertisements. I was at K’s Saturday and Sunday, enjoying a weekend of naps, and so didn’t get a chance to open the magazine until this morning. I only got a brief look at its contents as I flipped through its pages, but the preview, coupled with the crisp sunny morning I stepped into, made me very excited for the fall season. Friday afternoon I also pulled the NYTimes’s Thursday Style section from the paper and it spoke of must-haves for fall. Of course.

The hardest part of fall fashion is sifting through all the possibilities.

One easy experiment for this autumn for my work wardrobe has me pretty pleased: tonal suiting. Today I’m in my J. Crew starry tweed skirt suit in gray, with a lighter gray silk top underneath. It looks smart, put-together, and understated: a great to highlight great makeup. (When I say great makeup I mean NARS blush in Madly, mascara, and perfectly groomed eyebrows. Lipstick is a rare achievement.)

(schoolboy blazer in camel)
(tippi sweater)
(no. 2 pencil skirt in plaid)

I know this outfit seems boring, but believe me, compared to the reality of a full timer's wardrobe, it's something that could make your day to wear. 


I could also work on selecting two pairs of shoes to keep at work, to replace the sensible black loafer-inspired patent Nine West pumps I’ve been wearing for 11 months. They possess three inch heels, so maybe I can graduate to 4 inches, and complement them with an option of flats. I’m quite proud of how I’ve broken my current work shoes in, but it’s time for them to go – the insoles are about to bid their final farewells.


Manicures have been rare since my seaside excursions prevents fussy upkeep. Recently I found my old Essie stand-by, Jazz, on my hands, but it’s time to choose my autumn army of three perfect colors. Really, I don’t need to buy another bottle. My stock is more than enough for two. (My sister shares). On toes, Essie Russian Roulette. On hands, Essie in Bordeaux and OPI in Barefoot in Barcelona. A nude, a true red, and a berry.

Also, I'd really like to go to Target for some candles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment