3.29.2011

Personal Finance

Not sexy: planning for retirement.

Retirement planning has been on my radar for the past few months, mostly because I ask people their own plans during my interactions with customers at work. Currently, I have no plans of my own. When looking at the differences between a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA last night, I began to feel the sense of urgency build. Across the board, I was seeing that one's best move in planning is to beginning early, before the age of 25.

Though my job offers both a pension (2% of my salary) and a 401K with a match (up to 5% of my salary), these contributions/matches do not begin until I've been with the company for 1 year.

But I don't even want to wait until September. From my limited but frenzied reading last night, I'm leaning towards a Roth IRA with a moderately aggressive to aggressive portfolio. I chose this because I am far from retirement, have no immediate need for those funds, and therefore can bear the fluctuations of the market. This means I'll need to open my account with an institution that can split my savings between investments and cash deposits. Time to do some research, which will be documented here.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment