Spicy Pickled Beets with Radish and Watercress, serves 10.
2.5 pounds of beets
1 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 thumb sized knot of ginger, finely chopped
3/4 cup Muscovado sugar (sub dark brown sugar)
1 cup Forum Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat over to 350 degrees
2) Rinse beets and wrap in foil, bake 40-90 minutes
3) Rub skins off and cut into large chunks
4) Combine all other ingredients in pot and reduce by 1/4
5) Pour mixture over beets and refrigerate for at least 24 hrs
Serve with 6 radished sliced thinly, 1 handful of watercress, 1/2 crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 cup toasted almonds, and a big drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.